Thursday, July 10, 2014

Day 6 - Lecce

Today we took a drive down to Lecce, which is a university and cultural city known for its extensive baroque architecture.  It's often called the "Florence of the South", and I can see why.  Nice thing about it though is that it's not as big, and not nearly as crowded as Florence.



The old town is centred around the Piazza del Duomo, where you can find a beautiful old church, with an impressive bell tower that can be seen from throughout the area.



There are apparently 40 churches in a very small area, many of which look like this...


...or this...


That one, by the way, is the one I chose as the background for my selfie today.

Speaking of selfies, in case you wondering just how widely accepted this word has become in modern vocabulary...


I think that T-shirt says "Selfie who you can!", but perhaps someone who's Italian is better than mine can correct me if I'm wrong.

Not just churches in this town.  There are also some old Roman amphitheatres - at least two that we saw - and they seem to be still in use.  Both had modern looking stages and were getting ready for a show.



Other thing I noticed about this place, there a lots of book stores.  Given it's a University town, I guess that should not be too surprising.  What is surprising though is how this has influenced their fashion.


Only in Italy.

After a nice lunch in the Piazza, we headed back to the trullo for a bit of relaxation...  and of course, some blogging.

No comments:

Post a Comment